Audio By Carbonatix
A former director of the Ghana School of Law, Kwaku Ansah-Asare, has called on Organised Labour to dismiss President Akufo-Addo’s plea to abandon their planned nationwide strike against illegal mining.
Mr Ansah-Asare expressed disappointment in the president's handling of the galamsey crisis and urged labour leaders to proceed with their protest as scheduled.
President Akufo-Addo made an appeal to Organised Labour during a meeting on Thursday, October 3, asking them to reconsider the strike, which is set for October 10.
The president reassured the labour leaders of his administration's commitment to tackling the environmental destruction caused by illegal mining, also known as galamsey.
Read Also: Akufo-Addo has pleaded with Organised Labour to call off strike – Ghana Federation of Labour
He expressed the need for unity in addressing this pressing national issue.
The meeting, held behind closed doors, focused on the escalating threat of illegal mining and the impact it is having on Ghana’s environment and natural resources.
President Akufo-Addo highlighted the steps his government has taken so far and reiterated his commitment to fighting galamsey.
He urged Organised Labour to give the government more time to act on the issue.
Mr Ansah-Asare, however, criticised the president’s response to galamsey, accusing him of not keeping his earlier promise to tackle the issue with the seriousness it deserves.
He reminded Ghanaians of Akufo-Addo’s pledge to put his presidency on the line in the fight against galamsey, arguing that the president has not lived up to this commitment.
“On assumption of office, he said he would put his presidency on the line and said should he fail the galamsey fight, he would pay for it. We have asked him to apologise but he hasn’t apologised."
“He has only eight weeks [to end his tenure] and by now, he should have allowed his vice, Dr. Bawumia to assume the reigns of government. He shouldn’t be asking organised labour to do anything."
“He has not been sincere. You will not keep any promise that you give within the next eight weeks. So as far as I am concerned, organised labour should proceed with the timetable," he said.
Latest Stories
-
The 10.94 Cedi to 1 USD Paradox: Macroeconomic triumph, the import subsidy trap, and the threat to youth employment
35 minutes -
GoldBod’s real cost to Ghana far higher than reported losses – Bokpin
1 hour -
Governed differently: The political economy of state absence in Africa
2 hours -
Boakye Agyarko vows to rebuild NPP as over 50 constituency chairpersons back his chairmanship bid
2 hours -
APL poll puts Bawumia ahead of seven potential NDC contenders
3 hours -
Character, jobs and cost of living: APL poll shows what voters will use to decide 2028 election
3 hours -
GoldBod had ‘design defects’ that could have been avoided – Prof Bokpin
4 hours -
Musiala collapses during match for second time
4 hours -
Premier League chief says Fifa self-destructed over World Cup plan
5 hours -
Vieira named new Senegal head coach
5 hours -
Global borrowing costs hit fresh highs on oil, AI and inflation
5 hours -
American Airlines to bring back TV screens on US flights
5 hours -
Carney’s final chance to convince Trump as US-Canada trade deadline looms
5 hours -
BOSTenergies meets fuel tanker drivers over their concerns at the Kumasi depot
5 hours -
X1 Energy Drink-backed DOL Super Cup ends with Ebusua Dwarfs crowned champions
6 hours