Audio By Carbonatix
The Economic and Organised Crime Office (EOCO) has granted dancehall artiste Charles Nii Armah Mensah, popularly known as Shatta Wale, bail of GH₵10 million with two sureties to be justified.
In a statement issued on Thursday, August 21, EOCO confirmed that Shatta Wale was invited to assist in ongoing investigations into a 2019 Lamborghini Urus, which American authorities have identified as proceeds of a $4 million fraud case involving Ghanaian national Nana Kwabena Amuah, who is currently serving a jail term in the United States.
According to the statement, “Nii Armah was granted bail around 9 pm shortly after interrogation ended. He was granted bail of GH₵10,000,000 with two sureties to be justified.”
The Office explained that once the sureties are presented and inspected, the musician will be released from custody.
The investigation follows a request from the FBI and the US Department of Justice for EOCO to trace the vehicle and identify possible co-conspirators in Ghana.
The luxury car was seized in May this year after it was found in Shatta Wale’s possession. On August 15, a United States District Court in Kentucky issued an order authorising the US Government to take possession of the Lamborghini as restitution for the crime.
EOCO explained that Shatta Wale had earlier claimed publicly that he bought the vehicle for $150,000. However, investigators said he could not prove this claim.
“So far, Charles Nii Armah Mensah has been unable to identify the person from whom he purchased the said Lamborghini Urus vehicle except to say that he purchased it from the ‘Street’ and from someone possibly called ‘ZAK’ who may have contacted him on WhatsApp but whose identity he does not know and whose contact he has thrown away,” the statement said.
The release further noted that the only documentation the artiste has presented is a customs declaration form bearing the name of Nana Kwabena Amuah, the convicted Ghanaian whose name is directly linked to the US case.
EOCO also detailed events on the day of interrogation, saying Shatta Wale arrived late for his scheduled appearance on August 20, and only agreed to cooperate after his lawyer arrived at 5 pm.
The questioning went on until 9 pm before bail was granted.
“Officers eventually left the Office around 11pm,” EOCO added.
Latest Stories
-
Bodies of two hikers missing for decades found after Swiss glacier melts
5 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: North East Region denied one-eighth stage as Kumasi High kicks out Nalerigu
9 minutes -
Useless Column: ‘Weytin do Akosua?’
13 minutes -
Context Matters: Understanding the Tony Elumelu First-Name Debate – Afanyi Dadzie writes
16 minutes -
Microwaving is safe, but minimise aluminium foil use – Food Scientist advices
23 minutes -
Supreme Court clears way for legal vacation criminal trials, dismisses Oppong Nkrumah’s injunction bid
38 minutes -
Restaurant portions, surplus food worsening Ghana’s food waste problem — Food Scientist
48 minutes -
NPP extends 2026 National Officers Elections filing deadline to August 29
55 minutes -
NDC has not shown it can manage power sector effectively — Fiifi Boafo
59 minutes -
Ghana secured US$2.6bn FDIs in 2025 – GIPC Report
60 minutes -
GRIDCo restores power nationwide after August 20 blackout, says grid strengthening measures ongoing
1 hour -
Journalism must prioritise public interest over attention — Kwesi Pratt
2 hours -
Ghana Mineworkers Union demand suspension of contract mining directive, threaten industrial action
2 hours -
ADB Ghana Medicals constructing and equipping new Cardiothoracic Centre at Komfo Anokye
2 hours -
AFREIKH Summer School challenges Africa to harness critical minerals
3 hours