Acting Upper West Regional Commander of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) DOI Abraham Nii Dodoo, has revealed that a total of 153 fire cases had been recorded in the region with one death from January to October 2020.
He said the damage caused by the fire within the period was valued at GH₵939,611.00 while the GNFS saved property worth GH₵1,115,700.00.
DOI Dodoo revealed this at Gwollu during a ceremony to commission a fire station for the Sissala West District and to pass out 73 fire volunteers for the district.
The Sissala West District Assembly built and furnished the facility while the GNFS provided the fire tender and personnel for the station.
DOI Dodoo also noted that within the same period in 2019, the service recorded a total of 119 fire cases in the region with property damages valued at GH₵318,737.00 while the GNFS saving GH₵1,105,500.00 worth of properties.
“This clearly shows an upsurge in the fire outbreaks in the region. These figures of the outbreak in the region is a worrying phenomenon and a development, which require a collective effort by all and sundry to support the Ghana National Fire Service to mitigate before it consumes us all”, he explained.
DOI Dodoo urged the public to acquire fire extinguishers for their homes as first aid appliance as per the dictates of LI 2249 in the incident of any fire outbreak.
He also appealed to managers of institutions and public places such as schools to acquire fire certificate to enable them to operate, without which one commits an offence.
The Deputy Upper West Regional Minister, Mr Amidu Ishaque Chinia, who commissioned the station on behalf of the Regional Minister said bush fires could destroy farm produce and urged the people to take precautionary measures in order not allow fires to derail the success of the Planting for Food and Jobs (PFJ) programme of President Akufo-Addo led government.
The Deputy Minister, who is also the Parliamentary Candidate of the New Patriotic Party in the Sissala East constituency said through the PFJ programme, the Sissala West District was the major food basket for the Upper West Region and the country at large.
Mr Chinia appealed to the public to ensure that peace was maintained before, during and after the December 7 election.
He advised politicians to rather engage in issue-based campaign and desist from politics of insults, which was injurious to the relative peace the nation was enjoying.
The Deputy Minister also advised the youth not to allow themselves not to be used by political parties and individuals to foment trouble as the security personnel were ready to deal with any individual or group of individuals apprehended in misconduct.
- Asking Domelevo to proceed on leave unconstitutional – Supreme Court
- Supreme Court strikes out law that allowed government to impose restrictions during Covid-19 pandemic
- Prof Gyampo slams Akufo-Addo over presidency’s request for CVs of senior EC officials
- Prof. Ama Ata Aidoo passes on aged 81
- Petrol, diesel prices to stay same; LPG to go down 5% – IES
- Abedi Pele watches Jordan Ayew face off with Andre Ayew at Selhurst Park
- Fire burns shops at Madina-Ritz junction again
- M.anifest joins father to celebrate his grandmother’s 98th birthday
- Ama Ata Aidoo’s iconic 1987 interview that shook the world
- SIM card deactivation: Crowds besiege NIA centres for Ghana Card
- Baby Jet U-16 Tournament: Asamoah Gyan pays courtesy call on Sports Minister ahead of event
- Bank Managers call on government to flush out ‘black market’ operators
- Judiciary must not be seen as bias in setting timelines for cases – Pumpuni Asante
- Seun Kuti opens up on experience in ‘three-person cell’ with 30 inmates
- We use ‘second-hand’ diapers, toilet rolls during menses – Girls admit as Mace supplies free sanitary pads
- Air New Zealand weighing passengers before flying
- Supreme Court ruling comes as a very big birthday present to me – Domelevo
- Supreme Court verdict sets the rule clear going forward – Daniel Domelevo
- I have no regret serving as Auditor-General – Yao Domelevo
- It’s better late than never – Domelevo rejoices over Supreme Court ruling against forced leave
- EC sets June 27 for Assin North by-election
- 2023 AfroSport Summit: LaLiga joins conference for second straight year
- I’m sad presidency is at the forefront of doing unconstitutional things – Domelevo on Supreme Court ruling
- Tighten rules of Public Financial Management Act to cut budget deficit – Terkper
- Adanwomasehene inaugurates 3-unit classroom block for Adanwomase R/C Primary