Audio By Carbonatix
Moments after President Akufo-Addo lifted the restrictions on movement which was imposed on persons living in Greater Accra, Greater Kumasi, Tema and Kasoa, people took to the streets to celebrate their ‘freedom’.
Although initially imposed for two weeks, the President on the eve of Easter, extended the restrictions by one more week as the country awaited the results of some 50000 tests.
But addressing the nation in his seventh televised broadcast since the first confirmed cases of the disease, the President said the three-week lockdown has achieved its objectives.

He stated that there was the need to scale up tracing and testing of people who may have come into contact with those who had already tested positive.
He was, however, quick to add that the lifting of the lockdown does not mean Ghana is free from the Covid-19 pandemic.
Akufo-Addo said Ghanaians must continue to abide by all other measures put in place to contain and defeat the novel coronavirus which includes adhering to the ban on public gathering, practicing of social distancing and wearing of face masks by all Ghanaians.
But his caution seems to have been thrown to the wind as videos of jubilation over the announcement without the use of masks and total disregard for social distancing has begun to trend on social media.
This development has generated concerns from social media users, who are worried the lifting of the ban on movement will cause the country more harm than good.
Perhaps we have now learned how to bring people back to life. 🤷🏾♀️ pic.twitter.com/SZ2d0FpTgt
— Nana Ama Agyemang Asante (@JustNanaAma) April 19, 2020
The president has decided to save the economy instead. pic.twitter.com/uHjBGKosuF
— #QuestionTimeWithMzOtoo (@Bridget_Otoo) April 19, 2020
Ban being lifted after 1000+ cases reported🧐. Something smells fishy or shall I say there’s a political agenda aroma around this lift.
— efiaodo (@efiaodo1) April 19, 2020
The worst part about this lifting of the Partial Lockdown is when you do everything Right, wear mask, use sanitizer, wash hands and then Someone, somewhere, who chooses to ignore or not prioritize the safety precautions will literally deliver it to you in a shared space.😢🙆🏾♀️
— AJ Akuoko-Sarpong (@ajsarpong) April 19, 2020
In essence...
The President keeps saying "if you stop moving, the virus stops moving".
But the President now says we are free to move as we please.
And he is trusting 29 million Ghanaians to be sensible.
Right? Right.— Gary #StayAtHome (@garyalsmith) April 19, 2020
Lockdown lifted whiles we have over 1,000 positive covid 19 cases? I don’t feel right about this. I feel this is premature but well, the experts know best.
— Lexis Bill (@lexisbill) April 19, 2020
Latest Stories
-
Woman found dead at Dzodze
37 seconds -
Nana Aba Anamoah rates Mahama’s performance
28 minutes -
Ghana selects Bryant University as World Cup base camp
1 hour -
Nana Aba Anamoah names Doreen Andoh and Kwasi Twum as her dream interviewees
2 hours -
Religious Affairs Minister urges Christians to embrace charity and humility as Lent begins
3 hours -
Religious Affairs Minister calls for unity as Ramadan begins
3 hours -
Willie Colón, trombonist who pioneered salsa music, dies aged 75
4 hours -
Ga Mantse discharged from UGMC following Oti Region accident
4 hours -
Guardiola tells team to chill with cocktails as Man City pile pressure on Arsenal
4 hours -
Majority blasts Minority over Burkinabe border bloodbath claims
5 hours -
Analyst says Burkina Faso killings were a calculated signal to Ghana
6 hours -
Veep extends Ramadan greetings, donates to Cape Coast Central Mosque
7 hours -
Watch the moment President Mahama visited the Ga Mantse at UGMC after horrific accident
7 hours -
UBIDS secures $6.6m prefabricated classroom complex to end space deficit
9 hours -
Gold Fields Ghana Foundation deepens childhood cancer awareness drive; invests $4.8m in community health
9 hours
