Audio By Carbonatix
The legal battle between the National Pensions Regulatory Authority (NPRA) and its former Takoradi Zonal Manager, Richard Takyi-Mensah, took a new turn on Monday when the Accra High Court (Human Rights Court 1) dismissed the Authority’s attempt to set aside his lawsuit.
Justice Kwame Amoakoh, who sat as a relieving judge due to the elevation of the original Labour Court judge to the Court of Appeal, ruled that the NPRA’s motion was “incompetent” and upheld the preliminary legal objection raised by Takyi-Mensah’s lawyers.
In a brief but decisive ruling, the court held that the motion filed on June 30, 2025, seeking to strike out the writ of summons and statement of claim under Order 9 Rule 8(a) and Order 11 Rule 18 of CI 47, could not stand.
“The motion on notice… is hereby struck out as incompetent,” the judge declared, clearing the way for the substantive case to proceed.
How the dispute began
The case dates back to February 2025, shortly after the change of government. Richard Takyi-Mensah, who serves as the New Patriotic Party’s Central Regional Secretary, was appointed in March 2023 as NPRA’s Takoradi Zonal Manager.
His dismissal came by way of a letter signed by the Authority’s acting Chief Executive Officer, Chris Boadi-Mensah.
The termination letter invoked a clause in his employment contract dated July 26, 2023, which allows either party to end the employment relationship with a month’s notice or salary in lieu of notice.
“Your employment with the Authority as Manager for the Takoradi Zonal Office is hereby terminated with immediate effect,” the letter stated.
The decision drew public attention partly because Takyi-Mensah had been a key witness in both the civil and criminal trials of Assin North MP, James Gyakye Quayson. His role in those proceedings had made him a visible political figure, sparking debate over whether his removal from NPRA was political or procedural.
Speaking to Adomonline.com on the day of his dismissal, he described the action as unlawful and politically motivated.
“This is illegal and amounts to pure victimisation of a political opponent by the NDC government. No law in Ghana bars political party executives from working at the NPRA,” he said.
From dismissal to the courtroom
In response to what he called a wrongful, politically motivated termination, Takyi-Mensah filed a suit challenging the legality of his dismissal.
The case was originally filed at Labour Court 1, but the judge handling it was recently promoted to the Court of Appeal, prompting an administrative reassignment.
The NPRA, as the defendant, filed a motion to strike the suit entirely. That motion has now failed.
With the preliminary objection upheld, Takyi-Mensah’s substantive claims, expected to test the boundaries of public service neutrality, political activity, and employment rights, will now move forward.
What happens next
The High Court’s ruling means the NPRA must now respond fully to the substance of the allegations rather than relying on procedural objections.
The matter will return to the Labour Court for further hearing once administrative arrangements are completed.
Latest Stories
-
MTN Ghana rolls out SME Business Clinic in Koforidua to drive digital transformation
6 minutes -
Stakeholders demand demolition of encroaching structures around Wa Airport over rising wildlife threats
10 minutes -
“For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord” – Nduom celebrates court victory
11 minutes -
TDC, GIADEC and ARISE IIP join forces to advance Tema Industrial Park project
13 minutes -
MTN Ghana calls for reforms to tackle risks facing local businesses
16 minutes -
Minority accuses Foreign Affairs Minister of sidestepping Parliament over foreign agreements
23 minutes -
Trade Minister leads high-level mission to China to woo investors
27 minutes -
Quo Warranto: High Court adjourns OSP’s Stay of Execution application
28 minutes -
Nene James Tetteh Asigbey III
30 minutes -
Sportswear brand On introduces OAC Sprint, its first professional sprint team
31 minutes -
Salaga: Family counts losses after domestic fire outbreak
34 minutes -
Ghana declares ‘Open for Business’ at inaugural Russia-Ghana dialogue in Kazan
38 minutes -
CBG launches agency banking drive ‘Sika Agent’, targets 8,000 agents by 2028
1 hour -
Lands Ministry investigates alleged involvement of National Security operatives in galamsey
1 hour -
BoG confident cedi stability will be sustained
1 hour