Chairman of Parliament’s Privileges Committee, Joseph Osei-Owusu says the Clerk of Parliament is required to inform the Electoral Commission that the Dome-Kwabenya Constituency seat is vacant.
This, Mr. Osei-Owusu says, is the conclusion reached by the Committee after it heard two of the three NPP legislators who had absented themselves from Parliament for more than 15 consecutive sittings.
He made this known to JoyNews’ Emefa Apawu on Thursday, July 14.
Article 97 of Ghana’s Constitution indicates that a member of Parliament shall vacate his seat if he is absent for fifteen sittings without the permission of the Speaker and he is unable to offer a reasonable explanation to the Parliamentary Committee on Privileges.
TENURE OF OFFICE OF MEMBERS
1. A Member of Parliament shall vacate his seat in Parliament.
c. if he is absent, without the permission in writing of the Speaker and he is unable to offer a reasonable explanation to the Parliamentary Committee on Privileges from fifteen sittings of a meeting of Parliament during any period that Parliament has been summoned to meet and continues to meet.”
The Bekwai MP explained that this provision kicked in the moment the MP failed to show up at the invitation of the Committee to explain her absence during its meeting.
“In accordance with the law, it is for the Clerk to inform the Electoral Commission that a vacancy has occurred, that is what the Constitution says, that is what our report reflects.”
He explained that the Committee used every means to inform her of the need to show up and explain her absence. Her failure to show up, he continued, means she has automatically vacated the seat.
The Committee has meanwhile, by a majority decision, voted to ‘pardon’ Assin Central MP, Kennedy Agyapong and Ayawaso Central MP, Henry Quartey who both absented themselves from Parliament for more than 15 consecutive sittings last year.
- GRA descends on Melcom over issuance of fake electronic VAT invoices
- Father and daughter die in a gory accident at Ejisu-Onwe
- 12 persons arrested for involvement in robbery, murder cases
- DDE: Labour holds government to ‘exemption to all pension funds’ promise
- Akufo-Addo assigns Employment Minister additional responsibility for pensions
- Bodies of 10 civilians allegedly killed by soldiers released to families for burial
- ‘I am a fixer, not a talker’ – Dr Osei Adutwum tells critics
- Fantana mourns soulmate’s death
- Women have been misled about menopause
- Ghana’s School of Shame: My statement was ‘photoshopped’ – Dr Adutwum
- Mechanics being ejected from Boadi Junction lament high towing fee charged by Assembly
- US black history syllabus changed after Florida ‘woke’ claims
- How to let your personal values lead when looking for love
- New approach to textbook procurement caused delay – Education Minister concedes
- ‘I reach a wider audience when my interviews are done in the Twi language’ – ZionFelix
- GoldFields, Kosmos dispute tax bills imposed by GRA
- PAC laments forgery, willful backdating of receipts by some state institutions
- King Charles will not appear on new Australia $5 note
- “It should not take IMF to direct government not to borrow from BoG” – IEA Research Director
- I couldn’t attend PRESEC-Legon because our cocoa farm got burnt – Seth Terkper
- Joy Entertainment Unpacking: FIPAG President’s apology letter on behalf of Yaw Dabo
- No Pensions Ministry has been created – Employment and Labour Ministry
- Tommy Liang: Boosting career readiness of Ghanaian youth in ICT
- Chiana-Paga constituents believe Francis Abirigo is the biblical Moses of the constituency
- Accra Marine Drive Project engages Parliamentary Select C’tte on Trade, Industry and Tourism