The general secretary of the Ghana Football Association (GFA), Prosper Harrison Addo, has urged Ghanaians to report any information about match-fixing and match manipulation to the association to help save the integrity of football in the country.
The Ghana Premier League especially has been rocked with allegations of match manipulation in the last few years, with the latest to become official being the 2020/21 matchday 34 fixture between AshantiGold and Inter Allies at the Len Clay Stadium.
Following a thorough investigation into that game, the Ghana FA gave a final verdict on Monday, May 16, with both teams suffering demotion to Division Two while some players and officials of both clubs were handed hefty fines as well as bans.
Speaking exclusively to JoySports on how the league can be protected from match-fixing, the GFA general secretary advised all parties in football to report any information they get about such issues.
“Anybody in football has a duty to report any information that they come across on match manipulation, betting and other things like that,” Harrison Addo said.
“What we expect is that members of the football family when they have info will contact the association and make this information available for further investigation. So anybody who makes such an allegation the association invites such a person to assist.
“In the code of conduct and the code of ethics, FIFA and GFA expect that members of the football family who has a duty to cooperate with the FA and a duty to disclose any information in this light would bring that information to the fore because the protection of the integrity of the game is paramount.
“If you’re in football that is your core responsibility so you expect anybody with information to come forward so that together we can protect the game,” he concluded.
Despite the Ghana FA giving its verdict on the AshGold vs Allies game, the decision is set to take effect from the 2022/23 season.
- Is IMANI now dictating to us how to run a country? – Gabby Otchere-Darko fumes
- SOEs who fail to present audited financial accounts to be sanctioned – Bawumia
- Ghanaians will soon praise us for going to IMF – Dr Afriyie Akoto
- As it happened: Kotoko dominates as Djiku wins Player of the Year award at Ghana Football Awards
- Ghana will be ungovernable if any IMF conditionality freezes wage increment – Prof Gyampo
- Some Hajj pilgrims demand refund after being left stranded for hours
- 2022 Ghana Football Awards: Sadio Mane wins Best African International
- Food is expensive but there can never be food shortage – Agric Minister
- Photos: Akufo-Addo, Mahama and others mourn wife of late General Akuffo, Emily Akuffo
- Samson’s Take: This will collapse a government in a serious country II
Livestream: The Law discusses justice delivery speediness
Throw out Deloitte’s factually deficient claims – Dram Oil to High Court
‘Mahama stuck by Seth Terkper’ – Gabby Otchere-Darko defends Ofori-Atta amid resignation calls
2022 Ghana Football Awards: Full list of winners
Some have made it their life mission to frustrate me – Barker-Vormawor
Some Hajj pilgrims demand refund after being left stranded for hours
IMF bailout will take pressure off Akufo-Addo to focus on positive things – Gabby Otchere-Darko
Photos: Akufo-Addo, Mahama and others mourn wife of late General Akuffo, Emily Akuffo
Amanda Ofori is out with a new single titled ‘Abba’
Adele: Emotion and simplicity are enough at comeback Hyde Park gig
Ghana will be ungovernable if any IMF conditionality freezes wage increment – Prof Gyampo
Samson’s Take: This will collapse a government in a serious country II
Manchester United: Cristiano Ronaldo wants to leave club this summer
Rafael Nadal apologises after Wimbledon third-round win ends on testy note
2022 Ghana Football Awards: Sadio Mane wins Best African International