Per the official squad list of the Black Princesses submitted to FIFA for the U-20 Women’s World Cup, Evelyn Badu was NOT registered for the tournament.
The #JoySports team found out on Thursday morning when cross-checking the GFA’s own squad artwork (which had Badu’s name and photo) against the list on the Fifa website.
This was necessitated by the sudden FA announcement on Thursday morning that Badu, the captain of the side, is injured with an ankle problem.
In contention is when exactly the 18-year-old had this injury, because the official Fifa list was published as back as Tuesday.
Multiple sources at the FA, when questioned by Joy Sports, stated the following:
1) That Badu got injured days ago and that the news was only made public on Thursday morning when it became clear that she could not take part in the World Cup.
2) That a replacement for Badu has already been lined up – Afia Nyarko of Kumasi Sports Academy (who was part of the provisional squad that went for camping in France but was axed from the final list) is already on her way from Ghana to Costa Rica at present.
3) That the coaching team decided not to send Badu back to Ghana in order not to kill team spirit, as she is one the side’s key motivators.
The Black Princesses begin their tournament campaign later at 5pm against three-time champions, USA.
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- Brother stands in as groom skips wedding to train
- Ghana’s debt stock up ¢9bn to ¢402.4bn in July 2022 – BoG
- Akufo-Addo’s fight against illegal mining is a complete ‘419’ – Sammy Gyamfi
- Daniel Afriyie Barnieh to run down Hearts contract as he rejects new deal
- Parliament warns Herald Editor to cease exposés on controversial GNPC/Genser Energy contract
- British officials release date for King Charles III’s coronation
- Black Sherif’s ‘Soja’ debuts on Billboard’s US Afrobeats Chart
- FDA concurs with WHO’s caution against four substandard paediatric medicines found in The Gambia
- Increase price of bag of cocoa to ¢1,500 or we smuggle it – Farmers
- NSMQ 2022: Competing schools arrive on KNUST campus ahead of prelims
- ‘Galamsey’ got worse under Mahama – NPP tells NDC
- ‘I have given up on dating; guys do not take me seriously’ – Comedienne Jacinta
- Kuami Eugene grabs 2022 BMI London award
- Former Arsenal star Emmanuel Petit calls for Thomas Partey backup in January
- Bawumia has been a disaster as head of economic management team – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
- People like our union – Shatta Wale on why he requested to collaborate with Michy
- Qatar 2022: Ghana vs Uruguay not a ‘revenge’ game – Andre Ayew
- Malta Guinness WPL: Ridge City take on Essiam Socrates; Pearlpia face Prisons Ladies on Day 1
- I think Black Sherif is Bob Marley reincarnate – Sonnie Badu
- Prudential Bank leads conversation on Pan-African Payment and Settlement System
- Midweek performance wrap of Ghanaian players in Europe
- Exhibit customer-centric services in your daily operations – British Council to organisations
- Government consciously shielding main culprit in Bulgarian Embassy demolition – Ablakwa
- ‘I’m fed up’ – aspiring NDC chairman backs calls to oust incumbent Ofosu Ampofo, Asiedu Nketia