Audio By Carbonatix
The battle lines for the national executive elections of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) have been drawn, with all the 48 aspirants picking various positions on the ballot to be used for the July 17, 2022 contest.
The balloting, which was held at the Party’s headquarters on Monday, June 27, 2022, was supervised by the Electoral Commission.
The positions being contested are: National Chairmanship, Vice Chairmanship, General Secretary, Organiser, Youth Organiser, Treasurer, Women’s Organiser and the NASARA Coordinator.
Whereas some aspirants took part of the balloting themselves, others delegated their representatives to do so on their behalf.
The exercise was conducted behind closed doors, with Party officials explaining that they did not make “provisions” for media coverage.
Journalists who arrived at the Party's head office on Monday morning to cover the exercise were prevented from entering the office.
Unlike other balloting in the past that were characterised by singing, drumming, and funfair, Monday’s exercise was calm and quiet.
The Party said it would officially communicate to the public the certified list of the aspirants and their positions on the ballot “before the close of day.”
Meanwhile, in separate interviews, some of the aspirants expressed delight about their positions on the ballot and justified their positions with Biblical analysis and political interpretations.
Mr Kwabena Abankwah-Yeboah, National Chairman aspirant, told journalists that he picked number eight on the ballot.
He said it was his wish to either be the first or last candidate on the ballot, saying that it would be easier for delegates to identify him in that position.
Mr Stephen Ntim, who is contesting the NPP national chairmanship position for the fifth time, is number five on the ballot.
Mr Ntim’s Spokesperson, Mr Abdulai Kamal-Deen, who represented him at the exercise, said the number five meant that the Chairmanship position had been "cemented" for his candidate.
Eight aspirants are contesting the national chairmanship position.
Sources close to Mr John Boadu, the incumbent General Secretary, who is seeking re-election, said he had picked the number one slot.
A total of six aspirants are contesting the General Secretary position.
For the National Organiser position, Mr Henry Nana Boakye, who is currently the NPP’s National Youth Organiser, picked the number five spot.
Representatives of Mr Bright Essilfie-Kumi told journalists that their candidate was number one on the ballot.
Mr Bossman Mensah Sampene, Campaign Manager for Mr Elssifie-Kumi, said the number one position signified victory for their candidate.
Mr Titus Glover, another National Organiser aspirant, is number three on the ballot.
Six aspirants are contesting the National Organiser position.
Regarding the National Treasurer position, which is being contested by four aspirants, Dr Yusif Tedam is number three on the ballot, his representatives told the GNA.
Nana Mprah, Special Aide to Dr Tedam, said his candidate’s position “is a symbolic number,” adding that “we are happy to have this position.”
For the women’s organiser race, the incumbent, Madam Kate Gyamfua picked the number one position.
She said she was happy to be the first on the ballot, adding that her position was a confirmation of her victory ahead of the election.
Three aspirants are contesting the Women’s Organiser position.
Briefing journalists after the exercise, Mr Evans Nimako, Director of Elections and Research, NPP, described the exercise as successful, adding that the Party would soon release the Notice of Poll and commence the printing of the ballot.
He said the Party would also release the voters’ album to all the aspirants by June 29, 2022.
The NPP’s national executive elections is scheduled to take place at the Accra Sports Stadium from July 15 to 17, 2022.
Latest Stories
-
MUSIGA hosts Nigerian delegation on creative economy study tour
2 minutes -
‘Government cannot be sector-selective if it wants to do well’ – Prof. Bokpin
5 minutes -
Dr Gideon Boako links Bank of Ghana losses to Cash Reserve Ratio policy changes
10 minutes -
Celestine Donkor features top African gospel acts on ‘Borborbor Hymns’
11 minutes -
Dozens of vehicles burnt as Mali jihadists enforce blockade
12 minutes -
2026 World Cup: Mane leads Senegal squad for tournament
15 minutes -
Firefighters prevent major damage after midnight blaze at Mayera Adusa Quarters
19 minutes -
Air Ghana is not for gov’t —Transport Minister
24 minutes -
Asiedu Nketiah urges NDC supporters to retain effective branch executives ahead of 2028
24 minutes -
Princess Umul Hatiyya – The Ghanaian woman who’s travelled to 90 countries
25 minutes -
Police arrest woman over alleged threats against President Mahama in viral TikTok videos
26 minutes -
Harnessing domestic tourism in Ghana
36 minutes -
GNFS contains domestic fire outbreak at Salaga
42 minutes -
President Mahama’s 2024 Promise: Deceit or a delayed reality?
47 minutes -
Paul Twum-Barimah hails High Court decision granting bail to Abronye DC
53 minutes