Audio By Carbonatix
The National Service Authority (NSA) has announced the discovery of widespread payroll irregularities following an internal review, leading to the flagging of 8,105 names on the national service system.
The Authority says the findings point to deep-rooted issues that require immediate corrective action.
At a press briefing on Monday, December 15, the Director-General of the NSA, Ruth Dela Seddoh, disclosed that 1,840 of the affected individuals have been temporarily suspended while further investigations are conducted by state security agencies.
She described the outcome of the review as disturbing and indicative of organised malpractice within the system.
Ms Seddoh explained that the irregularities were traced to discrepancies between the number of graduates officially produced by certain tertiary institutions and the figures submitted to the Authority for national service enrolment.
The institutions cited in the investigation include the University of Development Studies (UDS), Ghana Communication Technology University, and Akenten Appiah-Menka University of Skills Training and Entrepreneurial Development.
“We compared the number of students who officially graduated from these schools with the lists submitted to us and discovered serious inconsistencies. What we uncovered points to a large cartel operating within the system,” she said.
She added that the investigations had so far led to the arrest of 10 staff members from the affected institutions, who are currently assisting security agencies with further inquiries.
Addressing public concerns over the closure of the service portal after two extensions, Ms Seddoh clarified that the decision was deliberate and formed part of a structured validation process.
According to her, the shutdown was necessary to allow for reposting, verification of deployment records, confirmation of the physical presence of service personnel at their stations, and the elimination of ghost names.
She stressed that enforcing the deadline was critical to safeguarding the integrity of the national service scheme and ensuring that only duly verified personnel receive their allowances.
“This was not an arbitrary decision. It was essential to protect public funds and restore confidence in the national service system,” the Director-General stated.
Latest Stories
-
BoG Governor calls for balance between financial innovation and stability
30 seconds -
Regulate the risk, not the technology – Governor Asiama advises central banks
1 minute -
NIA clears 640,000 card backlog, expands nationwide and Diaspora operations
2 minutes -
Ghana to launch first electronic visa system on Africa Day – Ablakwa announces
5 minutes -
Sparqlyn congratulates Shatta Wale on IRAWMA wins, recounts old memories
8 minutes -
Agriculture Ministry warns against unauthorised livestock markets ahead of Eid
19 minutes -
Dr Gideon Boako predicts an increase in bank charges from June 4
25 minutes -
To what degree can universities alone save Africa?
26 minutes -
Minority vows to block new taxes, cites hardship on Ghanaians
27 minutes -
Ghana’s Parliament among the most transparent in Africa – Mahama Ayariga
31 minutes -
JoyNews reports lead to restoration of Awoshie–Ablekuma traffic lights, easing safety concerns
35 minutes -
Ghana Sports Fund to rely on lotto, gaming revenue and corporate support — Administrator
42 minutes -
PAC urges Finance Ministry to conduct annual audits of gov’t arrears to curb financial irregularities
44 minutes -
S.K. Agyemang launches ‘Menpaebo’ album with Light Seekers
46 minutes -
Punishing perpetrators only way to end electoral violence — Asiedu Nketia
46 minutes