Audio By Carbonatix
Former Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs and current member of Parliament’s Security and Intelligence Committee, Charles Wiredu, has criticised what he describes as a lack of parliamentary scrutiny and transparency over Ghana’s agreement with the United States to accept deported West African nationals.
President John Dramani Mahama, during a media engagement at Jubilee House on Wednesday, confirmed that 14 deportees, including Nigerians and one Gambian, had been received in Ghana under the arrangement.
He explained that Ghana had no objection to hosting citizens of other ECOWAS states, given the Protocol on Free Movement which allows nationals of member countries to enter and reside in fellow states for up to 90 days without a visa.
However, in an interview with Citi FM on Thursday, September 11, Mr Wiredu raised concerns about the legality of the decision, insisting that Parliament had not been consulted.
“I was a bit curious when I heard the President speak about this because apart from the fact that I once served as Deputy Foreign Minister, I am also a member of the Security and Intelligence Committee. I can state on authority that nothing of this nature has ever been brought before us,” he remarked.
Wiredu emphasised that all such agreements must comply with constitutional requirements under Article 75 of the 1992 Constitution, which stipulates that international treaties or agreements signed by the President must be ratified by Parliament.
Citing the provision, he warned that any attempt to bypass parliamentary approval undermines democratic accountability and due process.
Latest Stories
-
At Cannes, Almodovar says artists have duty to speak out against ‘monsters’ like Trump
6 minutes -
UK agrees £3.7bn trade deal with six Gulf states
31 minutes -
SpaceX aims for 10,000 annual launches within five years, FAA says
43 minutes -
Prince-Osei Owusu nominated for MLS All-Star Game after Montreal Player of the Month award
2 hours -
AFCON U-17: Black Starlets beat South Africa 3-1 but await CAF draw of lots to determine fate
3 hours -
TikTok and YouTube ‘not safe enough’ for kids, says Ofcom
3 hours -
Samsung strike on hold – but the fight isn’t over yet. Why?
3 hours -
US charges Cuba’s Raúl Castro with murder over 1996 downing of two planes
3 hours -
A time will come they must step aside – Kwakye Ofosu warns ambitious appointees
4 hours -
2028 jostling won’t save NDC if Mahama government fails – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
4 hours -
ORAL delivering results, more cases ahead – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
4 hours -
SpaceX files for IPO that could make Elon Musk a trillionaire
5 hours -
Spain midfielder Fermin Lopez ruled out of World Cup
5 hours -
Major-minor nations split in World Cup qualifying
5 hours -
Players to cut short French Open interviews in pay row
5 hours