Audio By Carbonatix
President of the University of Ghana Chapter of the University Teachers Association of Ghana (UTAG) says lecturers cannot continue to hold negotiations in futility with the government.
According to Dr Samuel Nkumbaan, the Association since 2019 has held negotiations with government which has yielded no impact.
Speaking to Samson Lardy Ayenini on Newsfile, Saturday, he said government has continuously held negotiations to cause the Association to suspend their industrial action.
“We have said time and again that we cannot continue to negotiate in perpetuity. We had a one-month moratorium granted by the National Labour Commission that, within this period, get this thing done. How many months down the line?
"September 22, we should have gotten this done by way of negotiation; we have not done that. So what has the NLC done to government that it constantly suspends our industrial action of August last year and go into negotiation within a month, by which time we should have sorted all of these?” he quizzed.
Meanwhile, private legal practitioner, Kofi Bentil says government has been unfair with the university lecturers.
According to him, ignoring the lecturers is not the best way to resolve the matter.
“My suggestion to those running the system is that the court in such mass actions is not necessarily the silver bullet that solves everything; it can solve a number of them. But, ultimately, what will solve this intractable problem is respecting the other party.
"Sit down with them, hear them out and make sure that you meet their demands halfway...but the whole idea of ignoring them surely will not solve this problem,” he said on the current affairs show.
The National Labour Commission (NLC) has sued UTAG for failing to comply with the directive to call off its strike. The case is expected to be heard on February 3.
Despite the NLC declaring the strike as illegal, UTAG resolved to carry on, enabling the Commission to seek legal redress in court.
The NLC, among other things, is praying the court forces UTAG to call off its strike as declared by the Commission on January 13, 2022.
UTAG has vowed that it will not call off the industrial action until its demands for improved conditions are met.
Latest Stories
-
Abronye DC’s health is deterioting in detention – Oppong Nkrumah
3 seconds -
CDSU marks milestones in Global Diplomatic Education and Institutional Evolution
3 minutes -
Of 5,000 hectares and 5,000 acres: The ‘small matter’ of land size for Petroleum Hub project
12 minutes -
Man killed in Bibiani-Asawinso galamsey clash, site owner arrested
18 minutes -
Lack of basic educational facilities threatens quality learning at Bueko School
19 minutes -
Over 16 NPP members arrested over social media commentary – Oppong Nkrumah alleges
22 minutes -
Mahama gov’t has failed faster than expected – Annoh-Dompreh fires at NDC
22 minutes -
Mining sector delivers over GH₵2bn in royalties for quarter one 2026 – MIIF
26 minutes -
Tamale Central MP begins borehole project to tackle water crisis
29 minutes -
Ashanti health authorities raise alarm over hypertension threat
31 minutes -
The Law Institute rebrands as Ghana’s hub for legal and compliance training
31 minutes -
Photos: President Mahama delivers keynote address at 79th World Health Assembly
32 minutes -
AMA denies forceful eviction claims over Makola market redevelopment
33 minutes -
AFCON 2027Q: Black Stars drawn in Group C, face Cote d’Ivoire, Gambia and Somalia
35 minutes -
VRA Academy targets engineering skills gap through ECREE Regional Training programme
38 minutes