Audio By Carbonatix
The spokesperson for the Madina MP, Bansi Abubakar Abdul Hamid has put up a spirited defense for the lawmaker.
A video, trending on social media, captures Francis-Xavier Sosu serving notice to block roads as part of his ‘Fix Madina roads’ protests.
In the video, the lawmaker can be heard saying in Ga “Listen to what I am saying, on the 25th, there will be a demonstration for the roads to be fixed. It will cover the whole area; we will block the road for them to know we are serious.”
This has led to some arguments that the MP was directly involved in some unlawful actions during the protest.
But responding to this, Bansi Abubakar said the MP's comments have been misconstrued.
Speaking to Evans Mensah on Top Story on Tuesday, Bansi Abubakar explained that the MP rather meant that the protestors were “going to block the road with human traffic and that is what exactly happened.”
“On that day, we had the whole area, people from about five communities, were out on the streets. In every demonstration, there is always a blockade of the road when a large number of people come out and it impedes vehicular flow. I don’t think there is anything extraordinary unless people want to play mischief,” Bansi Abubakar continued.
Francis-Xavier Sosu’s aide insists that the lawmaker was not responsible for the roadblocks during last week’s protest.
He said that there is enough evidence to prove the MPs innocence in the matter.
“We were moving with police personnel and so the police who were with us can attest that the MP did not block the road. He did not sanction anyone to block the road. He actually got people to clear the road and stop burning tyres so that cars can move,” he stressed.
Since the incident, the Police have made various attempts to arrest the lawmaker for questioning as part of their investigations.
However, they have been unsuccessful as the MP has failed to honour the invitation.
In a press release on Monday, the MP explained that he resisted arrest by the Police during the demonstration last Monday because it was unlawful.
Reacting to a police statement clarifying their attempted arrest, Mr. Sosu stated that he refused to subject himself to them because the law enforcement agency had failed to give a reason for their action.
“When the Police invited me, I declined the invitation and resisted the arrest because the arrest was unlawful. Parliamentary immunity only came in because I was on my way to Parliament after the protest when they wanted me to come with them.
“There are signed evidence of attendance to Ranking and Deputy Ranking Members’ Meeting dated October 25, 2021, for verification,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
Irresponsible mining: The land is not your own – Prof Mike Oquaye cautions
55 seconds -
62 Ghanaians killed, 15 missing in Russia-Ukraine war – Ablakwa
2 minutes -
GJA President urges responsible, sustainable mining
3 minutes -
Ghana must take charge of its mineral resources – Prof. Mike Oquaye
9 minutes -
KickedIn uses technology to connect African football talent with global opportunities
10 minutes -
GoldBod did not record GH¢22bn loss; audited accounts show GH¢5.44bn surplus – Institute of Fiscal Policy Governance
14 minutes -
Mining comes with responsibility to future generations – Ga Mantse
17 minutes -
Ga Mantse calls for measurable CSR and stronger local participation in mining communities
23 minutes -
Ga Mantse urges mining industry to protect communities beyond the life of mines
38 minutes -
Empowerher in Upper West region
59 minutes -
Ga Mantse challenges mining stakeholders to consider long-term impact of Ghana’s mineral wealth
1 hour -
Afenyo-Markin accuses GoldBod of mismanaging Ghana’s gold resources
1 hour -
Non-interest banking products must meet required standards – BoG Governor to NIFAC
1 hour -
Social licence to mine can be withdrawn – Ga Mantse warns mining companies
1 hour -
X1 Energy Drink Division One Super Cup: Attram De Visser secure third place after late own goal
1 hour