Audio By Carbonatix
Ing. Kenneth Ashigbey, convenor of the Media Coalition Against Galamsey, has questioned the effectiveness of the government’s policy of deporting foreigners involved in illegal mining, describing it as “retrogressive” and insufficient in tackling the menace.
Speaking on Joy News’ On the Pulse on Monday, December 29, he stressed that arrests alone are not enough without proper prosecution.
“The Interior Minister needs to tell us about that policy he brought—the one deporting foreigners engaged in galamsey. What has happened to that? Is he still embarking on it? Because it is all retrogressive. It is not helping the fight,” Ashigbey said. He added that the continued presence of confiscated excavators at illegal mining sites indicates a failure in prosecuting offenders, which undermines efforts to curb the illicit activity.
The remarks come after targeted operations by the National Anti-Illegal Mining Operations Secretariat (NAIMOS) and the Forestry Commission on Monday, December 29.
NAIMOS conducted raids in the Akyem Oda area within the Birim Central Municipality, resulting in the arrest of five Chinese nationals allegedly engaged in unauthorised mining and washing activities directly into the Birim River.
READ ALSO: Forestry Commission nabs 31 illegal miners in Apamprama Forest
Meanwhile, the Forestry Commission’s Rapid Response team apprehended 28 Chinese nationals and three Ghanaians attempting to mine illegally in the Apamprama Forest Reserve in the Ashanti Region.
The miners, reportedly brought in by an individual named Alhassan, had set up camps under the pretext of conducting reclamation exercises.
Ashigbey emphasised that, while these arrests are commendable, without prosecution, the fight against illegal mining will continue to falter.
“The fact that several excavators are still sitting where they are shows that prosecutions are not taking place. That is at the heart of the failure so far in our fight against galamsey,” he said.
The coalition is urging government authorities, including the Interior Minister, the Attorney General, and the police, to take decisive steps to ensure that arrests translate into legal action and lasting deterrence.
Latest Stories
-
Gov’t targets petroleum upstream recovery after five years of consecutive decline
3 minutes -
TUC welcomes ICJ ruling affirming workers’ right to strike
31 minutes -
NDC teachers launch grassroots political drive in Western North
53 minutes -
GN Savings and Loans to reopen first branch in Elmina – Nduom
1 hour -
Mr Eazi’s Zagadat Capital acquires 17.31 per cent stake in Intravenous Infusions PLC
2 hours -
Usyk keeps titles with controversial Verhoeven stoppage
2 hours -
Suspect killed after opening fire on Secret Service near White House
2 hours -
Mahama, Macron push new chapter on reparatory justice
3 hours -
Ghana Institute of Architects cracks down on fake architects and illegal practice
3 hours -
Ghana to destroy over 4,000 illegal weapons in nationwide arms amnesty exercise
4 hours -
Headmen and Queen Mothers meet in Binde to promote lasting peace in Mamprugu Kingdom
4 hours -
Tension in Kasoa: Assembly pulls down shops for 24-hour economy project
5 hours -
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
5 hours -
Eastern Regional Minister halts Koforidua China Mall project over severe flooding
5 hours -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
6 hours