Police are on a manhunt for three Nigerian men who kidnapped a Consular General and Head of Mission of Estonia in Accra on Thursday.
According to the Public Relations Officer of the Accra Police command, DSP Efia Tenge, 61-year-old Nabil Makram Bashbous was on his usual morning walk in his neighbourhood when he was abducted.
Narrating what happened Nabil Makram Basbous said on Thursday morning that about 10 minutes into the walk, a white Hyundai Elantra private car pulled up in front of him.
One of the occupants came out, pulled a pistol on him and ordered him to enter the car or risk being shot if he resists.
Mr Makram Basbous obliged, entered and was driven away with the kidnappers pointing a pistol and an axe at him.
According to Makram Basbous, he could not make out the location he was driven to but was detained in a room and held hostage for payment of ransom.
Meanwhile, the SWAT Unit of the Accra Regional Police Command picked up intelligence that some Nigerians residing at NTHC Estates, Vivian Farms in Lashibi in Accra, were engaging in suspicious activities.
They stayed home all day and only go out only at night, police intelligence revealed.
The police followed up on the intelligence and located the house, but their attempts to enter the house was met with resistance from the occupants.
In the process, all three occupants scaled over a fence wall at the back and escaped.
Mr Makram Basbous came out from one of the rooms, subsequently.
Police also found the car described by the victim in the kidnapping parked in the compound. A search in the vehicle found a pistol loaded with ammunition and two axes.
The vehicle has since been impounded and the case is still under investigation.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Police retrieve Stonebwoy’s pistol
- 6th National Policy Summit launched
- Photos: Methodist Girls' SHS wins 2019 World ROBOFEST competition
- That's My Opinion: If it's good in America then it's good in Ghana?
- Photos: Ayariga fears for his cars after 45-mins rain
- Man chooses jail over going home to wife
- Church terror scare: Sunday school children are easy targets - Police
- Adopt positive attitude towards Ghana's dev't - Papa Owusu-Ankomah
- Two staff at Office of Special Prosecutor allegedly steal fuel
- Thousands of Burkinabes flee to Ghana over unrest
- Newspaper headlines: Monday, May 20, 2019
- Private BECE results released
- World beard and mustache competition begins in Belgium
- UG begins Bachelor of Education programme
- Four Africa city destinations you should visit right now