Police are on a manhunt for three Nigerian men who kidnapped a Consular General and Head of Mission of Estonia in Accra on Thursday.
According to the Public Relations Officer of the Accra Police command, DSP Efia Tenge, 61-year-old Nabil Makram Bashbous was on his usual morning walk in his neighbourhood when he was abducted.
Narrating what happened Nabil Makram Basbous said on Thursday morning that about 10 minutes into the walk, a white Hyundai Elantra private car pulled up in front of him.
One of the occupants came out, pulled a pistol on him and ordered him to enter the car or risk being shot if he resists.
Mr Makram Basbous obliged, entered and was driven away with the kidnappers pointing a pistol and an axe at him.
According to Makram Basbous, he could not make out the location he was driven to but was detained in a room and held hostage for payment of ransom.
Meanwhile, the SWAT Unit of the Accra Regional Police Command picked up intelligence that some Nigerians residing at NTHC Estates, Vivian Farms in Lashibi in Accra, were engaging in suspicious activities.
They stayed home all day and only go out only at night, police intelligence revealed.
The police followed up on the intelligence and located the house, but their attempts to enter the house was met with resistance from the occupants.
In the process, all three occupants scaled over a fence wall at the back and escaped.
Mr Makram Basbous came out from one of the rooms, subsequently.
Police also found the car described by the victim in the kidnapping parked in the compound. A search in the vehicle found a pistol loaded with ammunition and two axes.
The vehicle has since been impounded and the case is still under investigation.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Media houses join hands in #DefendMediaFreedom campaign
- Immediate past IGP not free of contempt charges – Srem-Sai
- Efforts to end water scarcity must be science-driven – Expert
- That’s My Opinion: ’Good citizens are not born’
- Video: Adenta-Madina residents refuse to use highway footbridge
- Medical report declaring MP murder suspect sane for trial challenged
- Afoko contempt case: IGP, CID boss fail to show up on judgement day again
- Akufo-Addo directs IGP Apeatu to hand over to deputy
- World Population Day: Support, empower adolescents in fight against teenage pregnancies
- Danger! LPG cylinders' safety compromised
- CID investigation in Bissue’s case ‘unhelpful distraction’ - Tiger Eye
- Probe Suale’s death - US Embassy
- Water insecurity across the world on increasing – USAID
- Harvesting rainwater best method to ensure water availability for all – Entrepreneur