Achimota School booked a place at the final of the Greater Accra Regional Championship of the National Science and Maths Quiz (NSMQ) after beating Accra Academy in a nail-biting contest.
In a contest worthy of the name, the winner of the four-schools quiz was not clear cut until after the proverbial final whistle.
Accra - End of Contest— NSMQ Ghana (@NSMQGhana) 28 March 2019
Achimota School: 45pts
Accra Academy: 44pts
Ada SHS: 28pts
St. John's Grammar School: 27pts
One point! Just ONE point!!! This has been some contest, wow! Congratulations Achimota School!#NSMQ2019Regionals #NSMQ2019 pic.twitter.com/pvtxms7vzx
The two leading schools were tied at 41 points apiece at after the penultimate round; but after the final round, it was Achimota School who wanted it most.
Out of 20 points simultaneously available to all the schools, Achimota School picked four and Accra Academy picked three, breaking the previous tie.
Ada Senior High amassed 28 points in the contest to place third while St. John’s Grammar School fell a point behind to place last.
Achimota School will face Tema-based Chemu Senior High and St. Thomas Aquinas Senior High in a bid to crown a Greater Accra Regional Champion.
St. Thomas Aquinas Senior High qualified for the final beating Labone by 41 to 26 points. Fafraha Community SHS and Ashaiman SHS scored 15 and seven points respectively in that contest
Have your say
More News Headlines
- NSMQ 2019: Ghana SHS dumps Armed Forces, New Juabeng for Quarterfinal
- Newspaper headlines: Thursday, June 27, 2019
- 75-year-old widow borrowed from savings and loans firm to build toilet
- Parents name son ‘Google’ hoping it will give him a leg up in life
- Data Protection Commission to probe EC's sale of voters’ information
- India’s curious death hotels
- Hotline Documentary: When the last tree dies...
- NSMQ2019: Adisco begin 'journey to the fifth' with superb win
- I never took clothing allowance – Former GEPA Deputy CEO responds
- NaCCA warns of imposters in new curriculum training programme
- Students consuming cannabis-infused 'shito' - NACOB reveals
- Ejisu-Jamasi: Irate youth torch house, besiege police station over 'killings'
- Driver in accident involving 4 MDCEs dies in hospital
- Whistleblowers Act will work if informants trust they're safe - Law lecturer
- NSMQ does not favour girls - Teacher