Audio By Carbonatix
The state has called its second prosecution witness in the case in which two executives of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) are charged with conspiracy to commit crime and assault on public officers.
The executives are Samuel Ofosu Ampofo, Chairman of the NDC, and the first accused, and Kweku Boahen, a Deputy Communications Officer of the party.
Ampofo and Boahen are said to have been secretly recorded on their plot to attack the Chairperson of the Electoral Commission and the Chairman of the National Peace Council, in an audio, which has since gone viral.
Mounting the witness box, Mr. Isaac Osei, a Spanish Lecturer at Ghana Institute of Language (GIL) admitted that he transcribed an audio recording on a pen drive.
He said the said pen drive was handed over to him by one Mrs. Nafisa Appiah, who is in charge of the Institute’s Public Affairs Unit.
Mr. Osei said he was informed that it was the personnel of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) who gave her the pen drive.
The second prosecution witness then identified his witness statement and the transcript and tendered the two in evidence.
Mr. Tony Lithur, a counsel for Ampofo, objected to the witness statement, saying the lecturer in the said statement talked about an audio that was not in evidence.
According to Mr. Lithur, until that audio recording was tendered, it would be prejudicial to allow him to talk about it as if it was in evidence.
“Is the witness going to come back to tender that audio recording? If he is not the one to tender it, would the person who would tender it be able to speak to its content?” Mr. Lithur asked.
According to Mr. Lithur, “allowing these statements (transcript and the witness statement) to be tendered simply creates a prejudicial opening for the eventual tendering of the audio recordings.”
Mrs. Yvonne Attakorah Obuobisa, Director of Public Prosecution, said it was too late for Mr. Lithur to object to tendering of the transcript of the witness.
The Court in its ruling held that the fact that the alleged audio recording had not been tendered, could not bar the tendering of the transcript.
According to the Court, the witness cannot also tender the audio because he did not make it, adding that he was only asked to transcribe the audio.
The Court, therefore, overruled Mr. Lithur’s objection and admitted Mr. Osei’s witness statement and transcript in evidence.
Answering questions under cross-examination by Mr. Lithur, Mr. Osei, the second prosecution witness, said he could not tell whether or not the audio recording was “doctored or sliced”. Witness admitted that he had no idea as to how the audio recording was procured, adding that, “I only transcribed the audio that’s all.”
Answering questions from Dr. Aziz Bamba, the second prosecution witness, maintained that he was asked to transcribe the audio, a job he had been undertaking over the years.
The Court had adjourned the matter to Friday, October 16.
Earlier on, Dr Bamba informed the Court that his client, Kweku Boahen, was absent in court because of the strike action embarked on by some local airlines.
According to Dr. Bamba, his client had been in Kumasi for the past three days and he was to return this morning but had been left stranded because of the strike embarked by airline staff.
The NDC Chairman and Deputy Communication officer have both pleaded not guilty to conspiracy to commit a crime and harm public officers and are currently on GH¢100,000 bail each, with a surety.
The facts are that the accused were arraigned on April 16 for allegedly inciting communicators of the party to attack the chairperson of the Electoral Commission and the chairman of the National Peace Council.
Latest Stories
-
GACL board tours Hajj Village and key infrastructure projects at KIA
52 seconds -
GWL recovery hits rock bottom as state pays just 18% of water bills
2 minutes -
Parliament lays Anti-LGBTQI+ Bill for second reading
6 minutes -
Ghana Medical Trust Fund oversees restoration of Cath Lab at Korle Bu
7 minutes -
Broda Harrison recognized as originator, songwriter behind global gospel anthem ‘Don’t Play With Me (God on My Side)’
24 minutes -
Komenda Sugar Factory disconnected from power, water, saddled with heavy debt – Trade Minister
35 minutes -
Ghana Water faces 21% supply deficit, GH¢14.6bn debt and 52% water losses — report warns
51 minutes -
ECG urges calm as scheduled power outages hit Ahodwo–Santasi stretch
52 minutes -
COCOBOD salary cuts unfair and misguided — Isaac Yaw Opoku
55 minutes -
SWAG calls on sports minister, backs gov’ts sports fund policy
56 minutes -
Spain to probe social media giants over AI-generated child abuse material
59 minutes -
J.J. Rawlings Foundation mourns the death of June 4 uprising figure Sgt. Peter Tasiri
1 hour -
Third round of Russia-Ukraine talks to take place as strikes continue
2 hours -
Kofi Asmah: Cocoa prices, turbulence and the cost of true leadership
2 hours -
Women in Russian man videos scandal not cheap – Issifu Ali
2 hours
