The Gender Minister Otiko Afisa Djaba has stated that the target to get women involved in the business sector and active in politics should be a reality by 2030.
She said empowering women is a key goal for President Akufo-Addo and his policies are geared toward achieving that.
Madam Djaba was speaking at the launch of the Gender and Development Initiative for Africa at the Accra International Conference Center (AICC), on the theme “African Women as Leaders in Business and Politics.”
She listed a number of the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP)'s policies including the Free SHS program, One District-One Factory, Planting for Food and Jobs and One Village-One Dam projects which she said, will “certainly provide a ladder to escape from poverty and deprivation for women”.
She specified these because “women have always formed a disproportionate percentage of the vulnerable in our society to empower citizens who contribute meaningfully to their own development and as effective partners in nation building”.
The MInister also stated that 54% of Livelihood Empowerment Against Poverty (LEAP) beneficiaries have been identified to be women and about 1000 of these beneficiaries.
Under the programme, she stressed how pregnant and or lactating mothers with children under one year are provided with skills training and start-ups to improve their consumption.
She also stated that the government is launching a ‘HeforShe’ Campaign in December to garner the support of males for the campaign of more effective gender equity.
She mentioned the controversial Affirmative Action proposal as one of her Ministry’s upcoming projects as well.
“The Draft Affirmative Action Bill has been sent to the AG’s Office to be prepared for Cabinet Approval and submission to Parliament before it rises this December”, she said.
She also stated that the Domestic Violence Secretariat is embarking on 16 days of Activism against gender-based violence from November 25 to December 10, 2017.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Building under construction caves in; one feared trapped in rubble
- Debate about National Cathedral makes me 'extremely nervous' – Ofori-Atta
- UCC Medical School beats UG, KNUST to win inter-medical school competition
- 2019 budget: Glad tidings of great joy only on paper?
- Video: I was thrown out like piece of cargo - Adoboli breaks down in tears
- Gov't urged to re-introduce Plant Breeders’ Bill to parliament
- Rebecca Foundation welcomes home first batch of exchange students
- Haatso residents fight GOIL over siting of fuel station
- Discharged Andah recounts multiple portions of blessings
- Scientists caution over calls for labelling of GMOs
- FIDO trains Kaneshie market women in Financial & Digital Literacy
- Women scientists must go into politics —Former Presidential Advisor
- Unity Air gets operation certificate
- MTN Ghana holds Customer Outreach Day
- UEW rolls out year-long programme to celebrate 25 years