Two would-be bank robbers almost had their escape scuppered by traffic in Ethiopia's capital Addis Ababa.
The attempted bank heist happened late on Tuesday afternoon at the Bole branch of Abyssinia Bank.
Two of the alleged robbers - one of whom is reported to be a security guard - fled empty-handed, but police managed to apprehend the main suspects.
According to Aschalew Tamiru, the communications chief at the bank, they used a car to escape, which later collided with a vehicle belonging to Anteneh Redai.
‘’My friends and I tried to follow them but the car couldn’t go beyond 50 metres due to the crash it suffered,’’ Mr Anteneh told BBC Amharic over the phone.
‘‘I saw them driving the car down the wrong lane. Because of the traffic jam, the driver jumped out of the car and started running. Another young man from the passenger seat followed the driver.
"Then the people around the area stated shouting and tried to stop them but one of the guys was holding a knife."
Fassika Fenta, spokesman of the city's police commission, told BBC Amharic that nearly 5m birr ($185,000; £136,000) was saved.
Mr Aschalew added that things were now back to normal and the branch resumed its operations today.
The incident is a rarity not just for Abyssinia Bank, but also for the country at large.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- The world's secret club of explorers
- Limiting killing to Kennedy Agyapong is letting killers loose - Security Analyst
- Undercover investigator killing: Homicide Unit takes over probe
- Killing of undercover investigator: President expects justice ‘as soon as possible’
- Kennedy Agyapong calls for Anas arrest over Ahmed murder
- Yendi gets $30m water supply project after peaceful chieftancy process
- Family of killed undercover investigator demand justice
- We are devastated by Hussein-Suale dastardly killing - Tiger Eye PI
- Your security is in your hands - Former CID Director cautions
- Social media reaction to killing of undercover investigator
- Anas’ partner killing: Kennedy Agyapong has questions to answer – Lawyer
- Nomadic herdsmen invade Sekyere Central; officials to use diplomatic approach
- 53 soldiers sue Menzgold over GH¢2.5m locked up investment
- Newspaper headlines: Thursday, January 17, 2019
- Anas' key partner shot dead