Two would-be bank robbers almost had their escape scuppered by traffic in Ethiopia's capital Addis Ababa.
The attempted bank heist happened late on Tuesday afternoon at the Bole branch of Abyssinia Bank.
Two of the alleged robbers - one of whom is reported to be a security guard - fled empty-handed, but police managed to apprehend the main suspects.
According to Aschalew Tamiru, the communications chief at the bank, they used a car to escape, which later collided with a vehicle belonging to Anteneh Redai.
‘’My friends and I tried to follow them but the car couldn’t go beyond 50 metres due to the crash it suffered,’’ Mr Anteneh told BBC Amharic over the phone.
‘‘I saw them driving the car down the wrong lane. Because of the traffic jam, the driver jumped out of the car and started running. Another young man from the passenger seat followed the driver.
"Then the people around the area stated shouting and tried to stop them but one of the guys was holding a knife."
Fassika Fenta, spokesman of the city's police commission, told BBC Amharic that nearly 5m birr ($185,000; £136,000) was saved.
Mr Aschalew added that things were now back to normal and the branch resumed its operations today.
The incident is a rarity not just for Abyssinia Bank, but also for the country at large.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Photos: Careguide Montessori School marks AU Day
- PDS waives over ¢100m for Krobo Odumase residents
- Photos: Articulated truck tumbles on the Kwame Nkrumah Overhead
- Ghanaian scientist, Prof. Torto awarded Agropolis Louis Malassis Prize
- The Odumase bill that has led to a kill
- Security guard jailed for threatening former minister
- Defence Minister picks Chokosi, Konkomba leaders as microphones for peace mission
- Tumu SHS: Two high-schoolers nabbed for vandalism over seized phones
- Ghana may legalise same-sex marriage in 2039 - Kpebu
- Photos: US Ambassador holds Iftar with interfaith community
- Efficient agriculture surest bet to beating climate change – Experts
- Pictures: Fire ravages furniture shop at Sakaman
- Passport fees to go up
- Darkuman police station gets Church of Pentecost help
- Photo of the week: The contradiction on the wall