A tourist bus has overturned on the Portuguese island of Madeira leaving 28 people dead and others injured.
The deaths were confirmed by Lusa, the national news agency.
German newspaper Bild said nine German tourists had died in the accident at Caniço. The coach was said to be carrying 50 passengers.
Details are sketchy but Portuguese media showed an overturned bus surrounded by firefighters.
The cause of the crash is not known, nor are the nationalities of all those on board.
Have your say
More World Headlines
- Vibrator prize for Spanish squash champion spurs sexism debate
- White House tells ex-aide not to testify
- 12 Jihadists killed as Egypt investigates bomb explosion
- Kenya warns foreigners running illegal betting firms
- The Indian Dalit man killed for eating in front of upper-caste men
- Boat carrying Uganda footballers capsizes
- Saudi Arabia gives Sudan junta $250m
- Boat packed with footballers capsizes in Lake Albert
- Billionaire technology investor to pay entire class's student loans
- Trump: War would mean 'end of Iran'
- Bodies of 'twins' found in clean-up of Kenya river
- Trump breaks silence amid Alabama abortion ban row
- Blast injures tourists near Giza pyramids
- US lifts steel and aluminium tariffs on Canada
- Kenya's ex-President ordered to pay $10m for land grab