A tourist bus has overturned on the Portuguese island of Madeira leaving 28 people dead and others injured.
The deaths were confirmed by Lusa, the national news agency.
German newspaper Bild said nine German tourists had died in the accident at Caniço. The coach was said to be carrying 50 passengers.
Details are sketchy but Portuguese media showed an overturned bus surrounded by firefighters.
The cause of the crash is not known, nor are the nationalities of all those on board.
Have your say
More World Headlines
- Police name suspect in Japan animation studio fire
- Eritrea Orthodox Church ex-leader expelled for 'heresy'
- Ramaphosa 'deliberately' misled parliament - Public Protector
- US shoots down Iranian drone
- S. Africa: Soldiers deployed to counter surge in violence
- Man finds own amputated leg on cigarette packets without consent
- Trump sparks condemnation after supporters chant 'send her back'
- US honours Nigerian imam who hid Christians from killers
- Trump renews attacks on congresswomen of colour: ‘Let them leave’ America
- Kenya deports 17 foreign directors of betting firms
- Former president of ECOWAS Commission De Souza passes away
- Mexican drug lord El Chapo gets life in prison
- Africans 'twice as likely to be refused a UK visa'
- Tom Steyer: Trump 'has met' criteria for impeachment
- US House votes to condemn Trump's attacks on congresswomen