The Former Presidential Candidate of the People's National Convention (PNC), Hassan Ayariga, has formed a political party to contest in the 2016 Presidential race.
He formed the breakaway party, All People’s Congress (APC), after his defeat in the PNC's presidential primary held in the Upper West regional capital, Wa.
Mr Ayariga was unseated by Dr Edward Mahama at the December 12 Congress December 2015 in Wa.
The PNC had hinted soon after the congress that Mr Ayariga was going round constituencies asking the party’s executives to endorse forms meant for the formation of a new political party.
The party warned of stiff sanctions to its members who endorsed or assisted Ayariga to form a breakaway party.
But Joy News checks indicate that Mr Ayariga has already picked up certification forms from the electoral commission and established offices in 170 districts across the country.
Some membership forms of the APC have Mr Ayariga listed as the Supreme Leader of the yet-to-be-launched party.
Joy News sources say the electoral Commission will issue Mr. Ayariga with a provisional license on Friday, January 29, 2015.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Mahama urged to submit his evidence to Emile Short Commission
- Hot Video: Joy News Editorial: Short Commission - Same questions, different responses
- Parliament summons Interior Minister over recent children assaults
- Mahama's election bid hit with suit
- Suhuyini accuses Speaker of unfair treatment
- #GhanaConnect: Citizens ‘scared’ by witnesses’ accounts at Short C’ssion
- Mahama acted appropriately, deal with NPP thugs - Osafo Maafo told
- Dambai is capital of new Oti region
- Brong Ahafo to be known as Bono Region
- Sefwi Wiaso is capital of Western North region
- Joint CDD-Ghana, CODEO delegation in Nigeria
- Short Commission: Police denies knowledge of SWAT vehicle, masked men
- Rawlings calls for global political accountability
- Short Commission probe: No armed men in any of our polling stations - Jean Mensa
- Lack of political will cause of growing vigilantism - Aning