A Missouri couple found a lottery ticket in their glove compartment and discovered it was a $50,000 winner just one day before it would have expired.
Joseph "Randy" Moore of St. Peters told Missouri Lottery officials his wife, Karen, stopped for a tea on her way to work and discovered a few forgotten Powerball tickets in the glove compartment of her vehicle.
"She took them inside to have them scanned, and she texted me a picture of one asking if I knew what 'Claim At Lottery' meant," Moore said. "I told her that it must be worth more than $600 if we have to go to an office."
Moore said he looked up the numbers from the Oct. 6, 2018, Powerball drawing and discovered the ticket matched four of the five drawn numbers, 1-22-27-53-67, and the Powerball number, 15.
"I had to search online for how much that prize was," Moore said. "When I saw $50,000, I just stared at the screen in disbelief. I couldn't believe it."
Moore took the ticket to lottery headquarters just one day shy of the 180-day expiration date.
"I started doing the math, and I kept coming up with 179. This was the 179th day," Moore said. "I walked in here and said, 'Please tell me this is still good.'"
Moore said he and his wife are considering using their $50,000 prize to take a vacation.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- UG begins Bachelor of Education programme
- Four Africa city destinations you should visit right now
- Multimedia Group's Kwetey Nartey selected as 2019 Mandela Washington Fellow
- Church bans 'backpacks' over recent terror threat
- Imported arms controversy: ‘Weapons pose security threat’ – Abotsi
- Climate change lessons included in new basic school curriculum
- We have employed 350,000 public sector workers - Veep
- 2 siblings washed away while playing in the rain
- Man charged with reckless driving wants to go to jail than home to wife
- Google launches one-stop shop for flights, hotels
- Baako wants CID boss changed
- 2 Suspected robbers killed in shoot-out with police at Kasoa
- NIA shuts down online portal for Ghana Card registration
- 5 years on; Rawlings, other NDC stalwarts remember PV Obeng
- Abuakwa South MCE urges youth to desist from using illicit drugs