FC Porto have signed Lorient and Ghana forward Majeed Waris on loan until the end of the season with an option to make the deal permanent for €6m.
Waris, who turned down a similar transfer to Ligue 1 side Caen earlier this week, completed formalities to become a Porto player on Friday.
Porto confirmed the news on their official twitter handle:
— FC Porto (@FCPorto) January 19, 2018
Waris, who signed for Lorient in the summer of 2015, had been keen to leave the club following their relegation to the French second-tier last year.
The 25-year old was given the green light by Lorient to leave for the right offer last summer but despite being heavily linked with Burnley and West Ham United, he couldn’t land a transfer.
He made 56 appearances for Lorient, scoring 20 goals.
Porto manager Sergio Conceicao is said to be a big fan of Waris and played a key role in the transfer.
Waris is expected to be drafted in Porto squad for Champions League knockout phase. The Portuguese giants are up against Liverpool in last 16 stage.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- PHOTOS: Bishop Bowers Sch honour 8-year old Kojo Arhin after Joy Kids Olympics exploits
- Berekum Chelsea, Nania to take part in Viareggio Cup in Italy
- Sánchez goals will start to flow like ketchup, says Solskjær
- Jerome Boateng ruled out of Liverpool Champions League tie
- Physio and six teenagers step in for Italian side but lose 20-0
- Mali secure first U-20 AFCON title on penalties
- Jeffrey Schlupp scores as Palace march on in FA Cup
- Basketball Africa League: Professional competition to launch in 2020
- Afriyie Acquah scores as Empoli beat Sassuolo in Serie A
- Mission International School, Happy Days Academy dominate Joy Kids Olympics second leg
- Kevin-Prince Boateng: Barca striker burgled during La Liga debut vs Valladolid
- Sergio Ramos and his 25 Real Madrid red cards: a retrospective
- Ramos sent off as Real Madrid suffer shock home loss to Girona
- I was destined to be world champion - Commey
- SCOREBOARD: Results from top European leagues