FC Porto have signed Lorient and Ghana forward Majeed Waris on loan until the end of the season with an option to make the deal permanent for €6m.
Waris, who turned down a similar transfer to Ligue 1 side Caen earlier this week, completed formalities to become a Porto player on Friday.
Porto confirmed the news on their official twitter handle:
— FC Porto (@FCPorto) January 19, 2018
Waris, who signed for Lorient in the summer of 2015, had been keen to leave the club following their relegation to the French second-tier last year.
The 25-year old was given the green light by Lorient to leave for the right offer last summer but despite being heavily linked with Burnley and West Ham United, he couldn’t land a transfer.
He made 56 appearances for Lorient, scoring 20 goals.
Porto manager Sergio Conceicao is said to be a big fan of Waris and played a key role in the transfer.
Waris is expected to be drafted in Porto squad for Champions League knockout phase. The Portuguese giants are up against Liverpool in last 16 stage.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- SCOREBOARD: Results from top European leagues
- Shaqiri double sees Liverpool beat Man Utd to go top
- Hazard stars as Chelsea hold on to beat Brighton
- Southampton end Arsenal's 22-match unbeaten run
- Stuttgart captain's father dies in stadium after Bundesliga game
- EPL Wrap: Man City return to top, Spurs grab late winner
- Defender Smalling signs new Man Utd contract
- 2019 Africa Cup of Nations: Caf confirms bids from SA and Egypt
- CAF CC: Kotoko hold Kariobangi to goalless draw in first leg
- Mohamed Salah named BBC African Footballer of the Year 2018
- Jose Mourinho: Man Utd 'far' from being built in my image
- Active football in Ghana to resume next month
- Coca-Cola Minigolf League: Six clubs set for finals
- Eunice Beckmann to hold charity event for street kids in Accra
- Full list of revised shortlists for 2018 CAF Awards