FC Porto have signed Lorient and Ghana forward Majeed Waris on loan until the end of the season with an option to make the deal permanent for €6m.
Waris, who turned down a similar transfer to Ligue 1 side Caen earlier this week, completed formalities to become a Porto player on Friday.
Porto confirmed the news on their official twitter handle:
— FC Porto (@FCPorto) January 19, 2018
Waris, who signed for Lorient in the summer of 2015, had been keen to leave the club following their relegation to the French second-tier last year.
The 25-year old was given the green light by Lorient to leave for the right offer last summer but despite being heavily linked with Burnley and West Ham United, he couldn’t land a transfer.
He made 56 appearances for Lorient, scoring 20 goals.
Porto manager Sergio Conceicao is said to be a big fan of Waris and played a key role in the transfer.
Waris is expected to be drafted in Porto squad for Champions League knockout phase. The Portuguese giants are up against Liverpool in last 16 stage.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Black Stars captaincy rift triggers 'bring back Stephen Appiah spirit'
- Gyan urged to decline Black Stars 'General Captain' post
- Live: Joy Sports Invitational 2019 updates
- Joy AFCON Podcast Ep 4: Gyan & Ayew + analysis of Appiah's 29-man squad
- Messi haunted by Liverpool defeat
- Kanoute's attempt to give Seville its first purpose-built mosque in 700 years
- Kwesi Appiah names Andre Ayew as new Black Stars captain
- Keita set to miss Champions League final but could be ready for Guinea
- PSG boss Al-Khelaifi charged with athletics corruption
- Antonio Conte set to take charge at Inter Milan
- NC Special Cup: Kotoko qualify for semi-finals
- Prof. Wallace writes: The role of Governments in football
- Uganda FA part ways with Paa Kwesi Fabin after two months
- Sarri to discuss Chelsea future after Europa League final
- Fifa drops plans to expand 2022 World Cup to 48 teams